Director of FinanceITA Head Office – EDMONTON
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Finance is tasked with overseeing day-to-day accounting functions, integrating finance operations, forecasting, and budgeting, and handling tax matters. Responsible for the accounting operations of the organization, including the production of periodic financial reports and maintenance of an adequate accounting records system and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the organization’s reported financial results.
- Works with the CEO and Administration to ensure that ITA maintains appropriate systems to manage financial and business risks.
- Attends Board meetings to report on ITA’s financial status, to present matters requiring the approval of the Board, and to advise the Board on the financial feasibility and risk management factors associated with various options and plans under consideration.
- Attends Senior Management meetings to streamline ITA operations, and to update and solve any organization’s current issues.
- Prepares and submits budgets, financial analyses, performance indicators, statistical reports and financial statements for consideration and action by the CEO and Administration.
- Regularly meets with the CEO and Administration to discuss financial and operational performance.
- Communicates with the CEO and Administration on a timely basis regarding financial matters affecting ITA and its business partners.
- Reinforces and/or recommends changes to ITA’s financial policies to the CEO and Administration.
- Hire, supervise and manage financial department staff, including accountants and financial assistants.
- Maintains and develops relationships with organizational partners with a focus on: Financials, Funding, MOU Management, Legal. Banking, Insurance agreements
Budgeting and forecasting
- Works with the CEO, Administration, and departmental managers to develop the annual budget.
- Reviews operational performance against the budget and supports all departments to comply with approved budgets and plans.
- Assists in the preparation and review of core and program budgets for ratification by the Board, in consultation with the Treasurer and CEO.
- Oversees the receipt, recording and proper disposition of ITA funds.
- Creates budgets in accordance with the requirements of Funding Partners.
- Analyzes current finances and develop budgets for the following period/year.
- Manages cash flow by tracking transactions and regularly reviewing internal reports.
Finance, systems and reporting
- Oversees and monitors the processing of accounts payable and receivable.
- Controls the disbursements of ITA funds ensuring these activities are done in accordance with expenditure plans approved by the Board.
- Ensures disputed financial items are referred to the Administration and CEO as appropriate
- Maintains computerized accounting systems; ensures appropriate backups and verification systems are in place to safeguard the integrity of records.
- Prepares regular reports, including cash flow forecasts, cash flow reports, quarterly program and financial reports, and monthly operating statements.
- Assists external auditors as required, and prepares financial statements, analyses, and other documents to support the external audit process.
- Reviews the annual report and audited financial statements with the Administration, CEO, and the Board
- Assists with financial aspects of proposal development and reporting to funding sources and agencies.
- Establishes internal financial controls and ensures all financial controls and procedures are followed throughout the organization.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate financial records in accordance with GAAP
- Manages payroll including responding to employee questions and concerns.
- Responds to requests for information from government offices relative to employment and tax-related issues.
- Administers and oversees office services such as lease contracts for office space, insurance, telephone, and other communication needs of ITA personnel.
- Prepares and files GST/HST returns.
- Sets up and supports the registration payment system and collects payment from sponsors, participants and exhibitors related to the Indigenous Tourism Alberta Summit
- Ensures all spending is within the guidelines of the agreements.
- Prepares and submits financial claims to Funding Partners to validate all expenses incurred under the funding arrangements.
- Assigns basic finance and accounting tasks to the administrative support staff and ensures tasks are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Perform other finance-related duties as required.
- University Degree with a focus on Finance or Commerce
- Completion of a Canadian Accounting Designation
CPA (relevant experience)
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience working in a senior financial position.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization.
- Extensive experience developing budgets.
- Experience with financial reporting and analysis
- Payroll administration experience
- Knowledge of Indigenous communities, businesses and similar organizations across Canada is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
Skills and Abilities
- Solid accounting and finance skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to manage competing timelines.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Ability to plan and prioritize workload.
- Independent self-starter
- Adaptable and flexible to changing priorities.
- Strong working knowledge of various Accounting Software packages
Executive AssistantITA Head Office – EDMONTON
The Executive Assistant provides administrative support services to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Board of Directors in a timely, efficient and professional manner.
Day-to-Day Office Responsibilities:
- Facilitates incoming and outgoing communication on behalf of the CEO maintaining protocol and conveying requirements and instructions to staff as required
- Sorts and prioritizes incoming mail and faxes for the CEO
- Prepares drafts of and formats letters, briefing notes, memos, labels, reports, routine correspondence, agendas, and notices of meetings for the CEO and the Board
- Assists in the preparation and gathering of information for proposals, submissions and documents as required
- Prepares filing of receipts, and accounting details on behalf of the CEO
- Prepares highly confidential documents at the direction of the CEO
- Maintains a communications network and distributes communications on a priority basis daily in consultation with CEO
- Develops and maintains an organized office filing system
- Track office keys and organizes and maintains office facilities, furniture, telephone systems, alarm system, and equipment (photocopier, fax machines and scanners)
- Provide support to ITA staff as directed by the CEO
- Adhoc projects or tasks as required Meeting and Conference Support
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, appointments and teleconferences
- Transcribes lecture and presentation materials and copies and assembles notes, handouts, overheads and slides for presentations
- Prepares agendas and information/presentation kits in advance of Board meetings
- Records meeting minutes as required and distributes to participants
- Works with ITA’s Travel and Meeting Planner to coordinate all travel on behalf of the CEO and the Board
- Arranges logistics for meetings (catering, facility, room arrangement, audio visual equipment, print shop etc.) and modifies as requested.
- Ensures that appropriate officials, staff and communities are aware of upcoming events, conferences, etc.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- College Diploma or University Degree a strong asset
- Knowledge of Indigenous communities, businesses and similar organizations across Alberta
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience working as an Executive Assistant
- Experience supporting a Board of Directors is an asset
- Experience working with non-profit organizations is an asset
skills and abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to manage competing timelines
- Excellent relationship-building skills
- Ability to plan and prioritize workload
- Independent self-starter
- Adaptable and flexible to changing priorities
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products
- Able to prioritize
- Works well in a fast-paced environment
- Maintains confidentiality