COVID-19 resources for Indigenous tourism industry members and communities
Indigenous Tourism Alberta’s number one concern is the well-being of our members across the province. To support all ITA members with the most up to date information regarding industry support and funding. Due to the breadth of information available, we have put together a COVID-19 resource blog post to offer you access to as many details as possible. As more information is available, we will update this page.
Destination Canada: COVID-19 research
Destination Canada regularly provides intelligence, tools and insights to their partners—equipping them to optimize their business and maximize their reach. As a result of COVID-19, this work is needed more than ever.
The following research will quantify the impacts of COVID-19 on an ongoing basis—check back often for updated products. It will help to understand when recovery will start and how effectively and quickly we are recovering to inform go-forward marketing. It also seeks to understand the non-quantifiable effects, such as structural changes in tourism and lasting changes in consumer preferences. Destination Canada’s COVID-19 Research will inform each of these phases and can be viewed here.
An excellent source of in-depth information for the tourism industry has been put together by Destination Canada. Review here.
FAQs and where to find the answers
I’m an employer and I have questions about my employees, EI and work-sharing:
- Employment and Social Development Canada
- Tourism HR Canada (click here for a presentation specific to helping employers deal with worker related issues)
I’m a small business and I need financial support:
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Innovation Science and Economic Development
- Department of Finance list of all federal support updated daily
- Global Affairs (Exports)
I do a lot of business abroad, how can I keep up with all the travel advisories?
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Travel Advisories
Public Health Agency of Canada:
- Visit your Provincial Marketing Organization or Destination Marketing Organization’s website for additional information about support, services and guidance.
- Tourism Industry Association of Canada: TIAC is committed to representing Canadian tourism businesses in the face of uncertainty and continues to advocate on behalf of the industry. You can also register for their industry newsletter.
- Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada: ITAC is monitoring the changing public policies by the day and the hour as things unfold. ITAC CEO, Keith Henry, has shared video messages to address these concerns and outline the steps we are taking during these uncertain times. You can also register for their industry newsletter.
- Regional Development Agency: Canada’s Regional Development Agencies (RDAs) are the front line for economic development in Canada and help to address key economic challenges by providing regionally tailored programs, services, knowledge and expertise. RDAs are closely monitoring the COVID-19 global challenge and the potential impact it could have on your business and your workers, as well as the broader economy.
Support for Businesses:
- Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Google Small Business Hub: This is aimed to help small businesses navigate through uncertainty and includes resources for communicating with customers, communicating with employees, working remotely and modifying advertising
- Business continuity plan and templates: Business Development Bank of Canada has shared this resource for entrepreneurs. They also posted a free online webinar – watch it here.
- Export Development Canada: Under the federal government’s new Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP), EDC and the BDC can now provide more than $10 billion of additional financing to customers facing economic challenges caused by COVID-19
- Global Affairs Canada: Resources for Canadian businesses
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Pandemic Preparedness for Business
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business: Keeping you and your employees safe
- Bank of Canada Rate News
- Follow Government of Canada social media channels for the latest updates
- Monitor the Prime Ministers News page closely for relevant announcements
Download the Canada Business App to navigate government services, get recommendations tailored to your business, set up personalized notifications and find the answers you need to start up, scale up and access new markets